Elphin Community College recognises the importance of good attendance and punctuality. Regular or prolonged absences will have a negative impact on a student’s learning and development and therefore should be avoided whenever possible. The school has an Attendance Strategy in place, the aim of which is to promote good attendance in the school.
Poor punctuality has a similarly negative impact on the learning of the student, and has the further effect of disrupting the class into which the student is arriving late.
The guidelines below should be adhered to by all students.
- The school day begins at 9.00a.m. Students are expected to be in their classrooms by 9.00 a.m.
- Lunch is from 1.15 p.m. to 2.00 p.m. and students are expected to be in their classrooms by 2.00 p.m. upon their return from lunch. Students who arrive late to school in the morning (after 9.05a.m.) and the afternoon (after 2.00 p.m.) must report to the office and sign the late book.
- When a student is absent, the student must present an absence note on the day they return to school.
- A student may not leave school during the school day without permission;
- If a student needs to attend an appointment, they must present an appointment slip or note and sign out.
- If a student leaves school and does not return on the same day, an absence note is required on return to school.
- If a student has no note he/she may not leave school without permission.
Students will receive sanctions for unexcused absences and lateness in accordance with the Elphin Community College Code of Behaviour.
Pupils attending classes in Elphin Community College
- Pupils should go to and return from classes in an orderly and prompt manner.
- Students must respect the authority of the Principal and teachers of Elphin Community College
- Attendance at classes in Elphin Community College will be recorded and monitored
Elphin Community College will recognise students who achieve full attendance in the school year by presenting the students with a certificate of full attendance or improved attendance at Award Ceremonies during the school year and writing their attendance record on the student report cards. Merits are also awarded to students for attendance.
Disciplinary actions consistent with the Code of Behaviour will be imposed by the Principal, Deputy for unexcused absences.
Whole school approach to the following attendance and punctuality procedures:
- Daily monitoring of attendance at 9.10am and 1.30pm.
- Daily monitoring of punctuality at 9.10am and 1.30pm.
- Recording of daily attendance.
- Recording lateness.
- Recording notes and communications.
- Recording early departures and Elphin Community College attendance.
- Informing parents when concerns arise.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
PRINCIPAL AND DEPUTY PRINCIPAL
- The Principal and Deputy Principal to carry out spot checks on absences.
- The Principal will inform parents in a letter, both in May and September, that family holidays during school term are ill-advised and inhibit educational progress.
- Apply disciplinary procedures to students for unexcused absences and lateness, consistent with Elphin Community College Code of Behaviour and the TUSLA legislation on attendance.
- If a student has no note they may not leave school without permission
- All teachers will keep individual class attendance records for every class taught on VSware
- Teachers will report student absences if necessary
- Students away for school activities must not be marked absent.
- Promote and encourage good attendance in class.
- Teachers may communicate with parents/guardians at parent teacher meetings on the importance and value of good attendance.
- Students must present absence notes on the day they return to school.
- It is the student’s responsibility to provide documentation (e.g. appointment slips, notes etc.) and present them to the office for all appointments that will prevent them from attending a class. Such documentation should be presented prior to their release from school.
- Students must sign the late book if late arriving to school in the morning and the afternoon.
- If a student has no note they may not leave school without permission from the Principal or Deputy Principal
- Students will receive sanctions for unexcused absences and lateness in accordance with the Code of Behaviour